Pages

7 June 2013

Grow - Released

Wow, May was a busy month again. Lots and lots going on but very little game development. However, I did get together we my game dev buddy, Mr Gavin Parkinson, to knock out another game for the One Game a Month challenge.

May's theme was, "Grow". So quickly I came up with an idea for a simple platformer where you have a charcter that can throw down seeds and grow plants to climb on. In fact I had ideas of picking up different seeds to grow different plants to help you solve the level. I really liked that idea and in fact still like that idea. However, after getting together with Gav and realising we both were time restricted this month we decided on a simple idea of one seed that grows a plant to climb up. We then have randomly generated platforms and a scrolling screen that goes on for as longs as you can jump to the next platform.


This approach helped us out a lot because we only had to worry about one level and limited amount of artwork and sounds. In creating this game we really only had two nights together and the rest was done in isolation. Already we are working well together and I think that has a lot to do with knowing more of what we can do and our limitations at this time with the tools we have. With such a limited amount of time too I think we have achieved a simple but very playable fun game.

I must give massive praise to Gav for his awesome music. I really like it and think it fits well with the game. If you listen closely you can even hear birds tweeting in the background; they are from a recording in his back garden. He has also now got a SoundCloud account and a NewGrounds portal where he is posting music. Please go check them out.

The nice thing about this months release is the game assets. All but the platform art and the font were created by Gav and I (With a little help from my wife drawing of the main character). I think that was the most satisfying from my point of view. Taking a static drawing and animating him to run and jump felt really good.

I think are games are only going to get better and better the more we do this. I still can't believe we are actually making games that people are playing, rating and commenting on. Please, please go and check out the game on NewGrounds by clicking here. Give us a rating and feedback is always welcome. We have already had some things pointed out to us that we could do better and I think we will probably add a few updates to this game to make it even better.

One of my favourite things is the scoreboard. We have a scoreboard where your high score can be listsed, you do have to have a NewGrounds account but it is worth it, they have a load of brilliant games, art and music you can consume.

Anyway, enough from me get to NewGrounds and play our game. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment